Powerball is arguably the biggest lottery in the world, putting up extraordinary jackpots which start at $20 million (*During the Coronavirus pandemic, the starting jackpot may be lower than this) and can stretch into the billions. The game is played every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday night at 10.59PM.
Players can buy tickets online or enter via authorised lottery retailers in Michigan. See the latest winning Powerball numbers below and purchase tickets for upcoming draws.
How to Play
All you need to do to play Powerball is pick five numbers between 1 and 69 and a Powerball number between 1 and 26.
You have to be 18 years old to play Powerball. It costs $2 per play, but you can also add Power Play for an additional $1. If you opt for Power Play, non-jackpot prizes will be multiplied by 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x or 10x.
If you match the Powerball, or at least three of the main white numbers, you win a prize.
Playing Powerball Online
Use the following steps to play Powerball online:
- Choose your numbers online.
- Select the ‘Easy Pick’ option to have your numbers randomly chosen for you. Alternatively, select ‘Pick my Numbers’ to choose your own
- You then have the chance to edit your numbers, change the amount of tickets you want to purchase and decide how many drawings you wish to enter. You can enter up to 30 consecutive draws.
- You can also select the Power Play option for an additional $1
- If you’re happy with your options, press the ‘Checkout’ button
- Enter your email and a secure password to set up an account, or click the Sign In link if you already have an account
- Enter your personal details and payment details to complete the checkout
- You can check your tickets at any time after purchase in the Upcoming Purchased Draws section
- Check the results online after the draw to see if you have any winning numbers
Playing Powerball In-Store
You can buy Powerball tickets from authorised retailers in Michigan, even if you do not live in the state. Use the following steps to enter Powerball in-store.
- Visit the Michigan Lottery retailer of your choice to fill in a Powerball playslip.
- Select five numbers between 1 and 69, plus one Powerball between 1 and 26. If you would prefer to have a random selection, you can opt for an ‘Easy Pick’.
- You can also select the Power Play option for an additional $1.
- Decide how many drawings you want to enter in advance. You can enter up to 30 consecutive draws.
- Pay for your ticket and keep it safe until the draw takes place.
- Check the latest winning Powerball numbers online to see if you’ve won a prize.
You can ask for a Replay if you already have a Powerball ticket from a previous draw (within the last 31 days). The same selections will be reprinted ready for the next draw.
Ticket Purchase Cut-Off Times
- Tickets for the next draw are available online and in-store until 9.45PM on the day of the draw.
- In-store ticket sales for the subsequent draw (and any future draws) resume after the drawing is complete.
- Online ticket sales for the subsequent draw (and any future draws) resume immediately after 9.45PM.
Prizes and Odds
To win the Powerball jackpot, you must match all five white balls plus the Powerball at odds of 292,201,338. The jackpot has a minimum value of $20 million (*During the Coronavirus pandemic, the starting jackpot may be lower than this) and can keep growing until it is won, leading to some incredible payouts, such as the record $1.58 billion jackpot awarded in January 2016.
There are a total of nine prize tiers. The following table shows all the different ways to win and the odds of winning in each tier.
|Match 5 + Powerball||1 in 292,201,338||Jackpot|
|Match 5||1 in 11,688,054||$1 million|
|Match 4 + Powerball||1 in 913,130||$50,000|
|Match 4||1 in 36,526||$100|
|Match 3 + Powerball||1 in 14,495||$100|
|Match 3||1 in 580||$7|
|Match 2 + Powerball||1 in 702||$7|
|Match 1 + Powerball||1 in 92||$4|
|Match Powerball||1 in 39||$4|
When you add Power Play, all non-jackpot prizes will be multiplied. A Power Play number, either 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x or 10x, is drawn as part of the game to determine how much Power Play prizes are increased by. The only exception is the second prize tier; anyone who matches five white balls will have their $1 million doubled to $2 million, regardless of which Power Play number is drawn. The 10x multiplier is only available in drawings when the advertised jackpot is $150 million or under. The table below shows the prizes you can win when opting for Power Play.
|Win Conditions||Power Play not played||2x||3x||4x||5x||10x|
|Match 5 + Powerball||Jackpot||Jackpot||Jackpot||Jackpot||Jackpot||Jackpot|
|Match 5||$1 million||$2 million||$2 million||$2 million||$2 million||$2 million|
|Match 4 + Powerball||$50,000||$100,000||$150,000||$200,000||$250,000||$500,000|
|Match 3 + Powerball||$100||$200||$300||$400||$500||$1,000|
|Match 2 + Powerball||$7||$14||$21||$28||$35||$70|
|Match 1 + Powerball||$4||$8||$12||$16||$20||$40|
The overall odds of winning a prize on Powerball are 1 in 25.
A second draw takes place just after the main Powerball draw. This is known as the Double Play game. You don’t need to select another set of numbers to take part - just add the option to your playslip if it is available in your state. It costs an extra $1 per line to take part.
If you match all of the numbers in the Double Play drawing, you win the jackpot of $10 million. This top prize is shared if there are multiple winners. The following table shows all the fixed payouts for the different prize levels.
|Match 5 + Powerball||1 in 292,201,338||$10 million|
|Match 5||1 in 11,688,054||$500,000|
|Match 4 + Powerball||1 in 913,130||$50,000|
|Match 4||1 in 36,526||$500|
|Match 3 + Powerball||1 in 14,495||$500|
|Match 3||1 in 580||$20|
|Match 2 + Powerball||1 in 702||$20|
|Match 1 + Powerball||1 in 92||$10|
|Match Powerball||1 in 39||$7|
Double Play was launched in 13 states in August 2021, with more lotteries expected to offer it in the future.
Annuity or Cash?
Powerball jackpot winners also have to decide between a cash option or an annuity payment. An annuity represents the full jackpot amount, paid in 30 annual instalments over 29 years, while the cash figure is a reduced amount and reflects how much is available to be paid out in a one-off lump sum.
How to Claim a Prize
Players have up to one year after the date of the winning draw to claim any prizes. Once this deadline has passed, any unclaimed prizes will be distributed in accordance with state lottery regulations.
Please note, you cannot claim a Powerball prize in Michigan if you purchased your ticket in a different state. The claims process varies slightly depending on the value of your prize and whether you purchased your ticket in-store or online. Visit the Claiming Prizes page for more information.